Sunday, August 19, 2007

Pesto!

Tonight I made pesto from basil that I grew in the garden. I didn't have any pine nuts so I left those out. It was still delicious. My daughter ate it with chicken and pasta and as usual, when she eats pesto, mumbled "yum" a few dozen times to herself while eating. Apparently eating with a fork was slowing her down (she's 2 1/2) because when I looked over at her she was using her hands to more quickly get the pasta to her mouth. My husband and I had it over some cooked yellow wax beans that we got from the farmers market and grilled on some of the zucchini we've been growing. I've been making pesto so long I don't even use a recipe. It varies a little each time but it's always good.

Pesto
1 Large Bunch of Basil Leaves
2 Cloves Garlic
A handful of pine nuts
Enough Olive Oil to make the above items whirl around nicely in the blender. (You'll have to experiment with it)
A bunch of Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Whirl the first 4 ingredients around in your blender until everything is smooth and finely ground. Mix in some Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Easy, fast and yummy! Can be used on pasta, veggies, pizza, in dip and just about anywhere! I usually make a few large batches in the summer and freeze smaller portions for enjoyment when the weather gets cold.

No comments: