Thursday, February 11, 2010

Vanilla Chai Tea

For  those of you who may be getting tired of the diary, I made this instant Vanilla Chai tea mix today & enjoyed it while I browsed the diary and Ancestry.com this evening.... 

The first time I made this I omitted the non-dairy creamer... I hate non-dairy creamer (in theory anyway). Originally I used just straight powdered milk. Well the finished product was good but not as good as one I recently had. So I added it today. And it was just like the one I recently had. And it was delicious.... (I know, I'm a terrible hypocrite. Hate me...)  

 

The spices for this are kind of steep  if you don't already have them.  I had to buy Cardamom which was $11 a bottle. (What the heck is in this stuff? Cardamom, yes, I know that.....) And you only use 1 tsp. (which means I won't run out for a long time thank goodness. ) It's a lovely lovely spice though and I can only describe as smelling faintly like spicy lavender. I'm  going to look for some recipes which showcase this new found gem. 

 

Please note this recipe needs a sweetener.  The original recipe called for sugar but I left it out so that people can control what and how much they use. I also used decaff tea so that I can cosy up with a mug of this at night.

 Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1 1/2 cups French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer,  and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.(I did not do the blender part this evening as it seemed unnecessary. I don't think the end product suffered.  I may just keep mixing it together and be done with it.)
  2. To serve: Stir 4 heaping teaspoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water. (I mean the teaspoons from your silverware drawer, not an actual unit of measure.) Add sweetener of your choice. 
  3. Send me a mental thank you for this lovely drink.

4 comments:

Karley Ziegler Mott said...

Yum.

I have made this before--sometimes I add Dutch process cocoa to make a chocolate chai (there's a recipe on my blog for it somewhere).

I am like you -- I HATE the thought of the artificial creamer in it (I am also anti Cool Whip, LOL), but you need it.

I think I am going to make some for moi right now...I still have a mason jar full.

Have a great trip!

Christine said...

Karley! You are so funny!

I DETEST Cool Whip.....And I can't even make an exception for that one. It tastes completely like PLASTIC to me. The only time I use it is for this coconut cake that my grandma's boyfriend loves that I bake once a year for him!

I love the idea of adding chocolate to it! Last night while searching for cardamom recipes I came across cardamom hot chocolate so that makes sense!

And thanks! I will. I am looking forward to it. I'm already planning a trip to that restaurant!

SweetMissMagnolia said...

oh might have to try that tea-sounds yummy-anything with cardamom smells wonderful---love chais....

Christine said...

SweetMiss-I was surprised at how much it resembles Chai that you get at a coffee shop. It's apparently based on the Tastefully Simple Chai mix but I've never had that so I don't know how it compares.

I made another batch today to give 2 people as gifts.