Sunday, October 25, 2009

Girls Gone Camping

Well not quite camping....

This past weekend, Jeannine and I pulled a Thelma & Louise. Granted I didn't pick up any sexy hitchhikers, she didn't kill anyone & we both arrived home alive. Aside from that, we did run away from home.

Her family has a cottage on Canandaigua Lake which we used as our getaway.

We took back roads from her home all the way to Canandaigua and stopped at a farm stand and various antique stores along the way. Since we are more Garage sale than Antique Store shoppers we laughed at the outrageous prices and moved along.

We strolled various little shops on Main street. I bought Handmade Orange Clove Soap at the
Wick-edly Scent Soap & Candle Company. The owner was terribly friendly and sent us on over to the New York Wine & Culinary Center where we each had a flight of wine and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. After dinner at the Muar House Cafe overlooking the water and a stop at Wegmans for provisions (Wegmans Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies, Boulder Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips, & Brie & a baguette) and we were off to the cottage.

We were not put off by the fact that there was no running water (we were under the impression that it was not being shut off until Nov!) and managed just fine roughing it. (hence the camping) We drank Jeannine's homemade dessert wine & pear cider and talked late into the evening about just about everything. It's amazing how I can still talk for 6 hours straight to someone I've known for 32 years....( we were 6 & 4 when we met in case you think I'm 52 or something. Not that those of you who ARE 52 should take that as a slight, I'm just not there yet!) Anyway, you would think there would be nothing left to say.

We awoke to a beautiful sunny fall day. The lake & surrounding foliage was beautiful. It was the quickest overnight I've had in ages! There was coffee, laughs, tears, cheese & so much fun!

11 comments:

Ellie Kings said...

This sounded so exciting, except for the lack of water. :) Not sure if I could have done it. But it looks like you enjoyed yourself to the fullest! Go Thelma! or is it Louise? :)

Christine said...

We had a great time! Luckily we had brought some water with us and we melted a bag of ice that was already up there in the fridge!

Unknown said...

First of all I was rather touched by this story, friendships are so important and I think we loose site of it during our busy lives, this reminded me that we can and should make time for our friends.

What a lovely getaway! I've heard lots of great things about the culinary school and I'm glad you girls had a chance to enjoy some wine, maybe next time you could plan a dinner too.

PS- Very clever idea, melting ice!

Christine said...

The place was beautiful. It kind of reminded me of that place we went on Keuka where you all told me what a cougar was! They had so many Finger Lakes wines. It was fun. Even the classroom space was amazing.

Unknown said...

LOL yes the cougar convo! I think I'll put that on my list for summer adventures next year. Thanks.

Christine said...

I'm a little confused Kristin, what are you putting on your list for next summer? The winery? Culinary Center? or being a cougar?

Unknown said...

LOL just the Culinary Center thank you.

Christine said...

Oh darn, I thought you were still thinking about that Med Student from Heron Hill....

Unknown said...

OMG I forgot about him but now that you mention it! Hmmm I might need to rethink the cougar for the summer. LOL

Jeannine said...

Didn't get to comment the first time i read it Chris- But i too had a great time- just not enough of it!
Thanks for sharing the beautiful fall weather weekend with me and i look forward to our next outing (or should i say getaway!
ps. where's the rest of the pics i was really looking forward to seeing myself lol-shit i sound like Paul!:)

Christine said...

Ha! I know!
I'm having trouble with that camera but hopefully I can do it this week-I also want to get you the wreath pictures.

It was a wonderful time!