Monday, August 16, 2010

Homemade Mayonaise

You might notice that a lot of my definition of a Good Life involves food.

This either means I have food issues or I'm a sensual person. We're just gonna go with that second one Ok?

I like real food. I eat real butter, half & half in my regular coffee and I'm not afraid of eggs. I also eat real mayonnaise.  Usually Hellmans, sometimes Wegman's if I'm feeling cheap.

We didn't do the grocery shopping today because we went to Honeoye Falls instead.


This evening I found myself musing about what to bring for lunch tomorrow. All I came up with is egg salad. Fortunately I like egg salad. Then I remembered I used all the mayo on potato salad for a family picnic yesterday (See, we really DO need to go shopping.)

This gave me a good excuse to make my own mayonnaise which I have been wanting to do for some time.
I used this recipe.   I used 3/4 cup Canola Oil and 1/4 Cup of Olive Oil because I like the taste and think it's good for me. I didn't use a hand blender I used a food processor and it came out fine.

It's delicious!!! Really delicious and I can't wait to make potato salad or something else with this.  I don't know how much it cost to make because I really didn't figure out the cost of the oils but I am betting it's cheaper than a similar amount of Hellmans. I also made it with stuff I already had which eliminated a trip to the store tonight or to buy lunch tomorrow. (I'm really trying to avoid too many lunches out-I find myself getting lazy on work days lately if I don't feel like making a lunch, we've been really busy and it's just been easier to purchase something.)

No comments: