Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm Not Messing Around


If you have read this blog before you may be familiar with my vendetta against The White Tail Deer.

Last year I did not fence and they ate everything except the leeks, onions, garlic,turnips, hot peppers, eggplant & herbs. I got a (very) few leaf crops in containers and some peas. NOT ONE TOMATO!

I'm planting peas this weekend and I'm going to be prepared. Back in the fall I found 4ft fencing and 4 ft stakes on the side of the road that I thought would be perfect. Today I installed it but I did not have enough fence & needed 3 more stakes. Off to home depot where there was no 4 ft fence. There was, however, a 7 FOOT FENCE!!! SO I bought that. When I got it home I realized that the 4ft posts were not going to hold up a 7ft fence. (I had assumed that the fence might be sturdy enough to support the top but no (and I got the HEAVY DUTY FENCE.) So tomorrow I'm off to buy some 7ft fence posts. (I can actually use the 4ft elsewhere in the garden just fine.)

Next I'm going to tie pieces of white tee-shirt material to the fence. (Apparently deer think this is the tail of another deer running from danger when it flutters in the wind-I have no idea if this is true or not but I'm trying it.) Finally, I will spray it with some anti-deer solution that I got the recipe for at a recent garden club meeting.

By July I will be eating tomato salad.

That heard is going to have to look elsewhere for their salads this year.

I'm through messing around.


**note-The picture shows the 4ft fence. If you click on it to enlarge you can see the small trellis I made from copper pipe I had and some netting as well as some leeks that I left in from the fall-They are still good and very sweet. I'm going to do that this year with turnips as well-I found a few the other day when I was making turnips (from the store) and they were much sweeter than those. (Note to self-look up why this is. Is this due to the fact they were in the ground over winter or were they just better turnips??)

This weekend I will be planting shelling peas, a dwarf bush variety of snow peas and beets.











Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Watch out Deer this gardner is pissed!

Christine said...

Yeah!

You should have seen me building the 7ft fence today. I was working with all of this intensity and real purpose. The neighbors were probably looking out the windows scared for my girl who decided to stay inside the garden as I was fencing it.