Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Princess And The Frog


Today I took my girl to her first movie in a theater! (Yes, Jacquie, I know, Amish child....)

We have been to the planetarium before which is very much like the movies. Why am I defending this? Possibly because it makes it sound like I'm part of some weird religious sect that I've never taken my 5 year old to the movies before....It just really has not come up.

We saw the Disney movie, The Princess And The Frog. It was really pretty great. It was a lovely looking movie and the story line is by far, the most far reaching one in terms of messages to little girls. The main character is not looking for a husband, much less a prince. She's working hard so that she can own her own restaurant.  The music is good. The frog is funny. At the end, my daughter turned to me and said, "That was a perfect movie!" and it pretty much was. 

It's probably the best Disney princess movie there is, although personally I would rank it right behind , Beauty and the Beast, due to the bookish Belle, and the fact that she loves the beast, AS THE BEAST. While he is still horrible looking. (And he's actually not horrible looking as a beast, but then again, I tend to like facial hair.....) As the prince he looks a little too much like Fabio....

We took homemade popcorn ( I like to make it on the stove in a pan) with, what else, real butter on top and our own drinks. When I was younger my mother's habit of bringing snacks to movies always embarrassed the crap out of me. It really did. Her bag was kind of ugly and rather obvious and she carried it kind of like a cooler. I felt like the whole world knew we were sneaking in forbidden food and thought we were poor. Silly child, I know. These days I carry it in a pretty Vera Bardley bag that could very well be a large purse. I'm not trying to hide it mind you and I'm no longer embarrassed about it, I just can't abide paying $7 or whatever it is for buttery flavoring....   As an adult I get it. I'm just wondering if my daughter will as she gets older or if she's going to be cringing when I hand out ziplock bags of popcorn...

7 comments:

Stephanie Griffith said...

I'm glad to read your review of it. I've been thinking of taking the girls. It sounds like a good one.

And there's nothing wrong with Emma never going to a movie before this. If my dad hadn't taken the girls they wouldn't have been to a movie before now. I'm too cheap to spend that much money keeping squirrelly preschoolers in their seat. I can do that at home for free. :)

Krista said...

Our local theater makes you open your purse so they can make sure you aren't sneaking snacks and drinks in. Can you believe that?!

Heck, we still rarely go to movies. In the last 3 years I have been to 1 movie and the boys have been to 2, I think.

Christine said...

Are you kidding me Krista!!! That's crazy... I didn't think it was a rule or anything.... That would really tick me off.

Christine said...

hmmm...I wonder what that means?? Thanks though!

Marie said...

Hi Christine. I can't remember how I found your blog, but it's on my feed list. I'm behind in my blog reading, but tonight I just read this post and your post about the Little House on the Prairie homestead. I can relate to both of them so well!

I took my THREE BOYS to see the Princess and the Frog, and I loved it too. I too take popcorn to the movies...in my case, air popped...we didn't go to the movies much when I was a kid, but when we did, we took our own popcorn too.

I think I'm going to look up the Little House on the Prairie next time I ever drive through that area (who knows when)?

I like your blog and your attitude! Here's mine:
http://marie-everydaymiracle.blogspot.com/

Marie said...

Here's my review on Princess and the Frog:
http://marie-everydaymiracle.blogspot.com/2009/12/princess-and-frog.html

Christine said...

Hi Marie!

Thanks so much for stopping by! And thanks for your link! I can't wait to explore your blog-It looks great! I love the book reviews-I'm always looking for something interesting to read!