Friday, October 14, 2011

The Blessing of a Fever

Last night my girl came down with a fever. Out of nowhere really. Her grandparents picked her up from school she played with her friends on the playground and then she put up Halloween decorations. After that she promptly fell asleep on her grandma's bed.

It wasn't really high like the time we had the flu but she didn't want to eat anything and she was really tired. This morning, it was low grade but, still there so I kept her home from school.

And we watched Ice Ace Dawn of The Dinosaurs and the Zombie Penguins from Madagasgar and we sat on the couch while I paid bills online and she played Angry Birds on my new phone. And I realized what a good time I was having. I realized that I can't remember the last time that she an I were home alone together in our pj's all morning. (Probably the time we had the flu.) And we had a great time. She was good and I was patient and we talked a lot and cuddled.

I've been having a rough couple of weeks as far as integrating work and home and I couldn't really figure out why until today. I've worked a lot of weekends lately and some extra hours. Which is really no different from the summer. The difference, I realized, was that since my family either works at or attends school, that means that it doesn't matter if I work weekends in the summer because everyone is still home when I'm home during the week. Now, in October, I haven't been home on the weekends and everyone else is gone when I'm home during the week (Don't get me wrong, I do like my solitude sometimes) but I realized today that I had been missing my girl. It was so great to just be home. And have to stay there, because I'll tell you, I had things planned for today.

I'm glad the world had other plans for me though. My husband got home and I went to the Y by myself and then grocery shopping. It kind of felt like vacation all over again. I'm glad the universe gave me and my girl a time out together!

No comments: