Monday, April 4, 2011

Fluuuuuuzie.......

So add to my list, another experince that I've never had before that I recenly got to experience....

I'm suffering from Influenza....Like the real flu.... I got my nose swabbed at the Dr's today and everything.....Although by today I wasn't surprised that was what it was, I've been dealing with the symptoms since last Thursday night.
I'm actually at the end of the suffering periond (I hope) My daughter and I have both had high fevers since late last week (well she had hers since Wed) today they finally came down. We're on the mend.

The last vestiage is the cold sore sprouting on my lip currently....

My saving graces were my nook, where I was able to read and dowload one trashy book after another (I read 4), Edys fruit bars, which I consumed in much the same manner as the trashy books, and my husband who let me sleep whenever I needed to (which was whenever I was not consuming fruit bars or trashy novels.)

Said husband is also now in the first stages of this flu today-I feel bad for him because I know what's coming....

The best part of my daughter and I being  ill together is that we did a lot of laying around together and I got a lot of cuddles. Today we ate popsicles in bed and then slept for much of the afternoon. It was nice.

Other than that (and the trashy books and popsicles) the flu very very much SUCKS.... I don't think I've ever had this before and I can't tell you another time that I've been THIS sick.... I mean like my whole skin hurt to even touch....And the fever...UUGH..... And the deep chest coughs wracking my lungs. And I looked real ugly too.....

The Dr reminded me today that thousands of people a year DIE from the flu... (I think he was frustrated that neither my daughter nor I had gotten a flu shot) And while I nor my daughter were ever in danger of perishing, I could easily see how someone with a compromised immune system could. I mean they don't even GIVE you anything for the flu... All the Dr did was give me a sympathetic look and say, "I'm sorry you feel so bad, take care of youself." Seriously.

What I'm getting to is that I don't usually get a flu shot. In fact the last time I think I had one I was pregnant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these anti-vaccine people, and no offense if you are one of those people, I'm just not.... (and I'm not getting into any kind of debate over this people....)

I've just always enjoyed (taken for granted) my good health. A flu shot seemed like, I don't know...Overkill....I reasoned I probably had the flu before, and it wasn't so bad.... I now realize I've NEVER had the FLU before..... I figured we would wait until my daughter had her checkup to get her shot-What's the hurry, she's also a kid mostly blessed with good health (Ear infections excluded..)

I was completely wrong on this one.  I'm never going through this again. My child is never going through this again.  My parents (who have both had flu shots) were watching my daughter when she came down with her symptoms last Wed. My mom held her most of the afternoon until I got there. My mom will catch ANYONE's cold and it's usually bad, because she has Asthma. My parents have been fine and symptom free.

I guess those shots actually work.

No comments: