Monday, September 14, 2009

Roasted Tomatoes in Olive Oil


The past 2 weekends I have made 2 batches of these lovely tomatoes. I got the recipe from my friend Diana and I'm completely copying it here for your reading & cooking pleasure (with her permission of course!)

"I used '4th of July' tomatoes, but any small roma-type will do. ('Juliette' is also a good variety). I cut them in half, take out the seeds and place them on cookie sheets.

I put my gas oven on WARM, then crack the door. I leave them in overnight, and part of the next day, always keeping the oven low, but close the door if I'm up and about to speed things along, but checking them often. They're usually done in 24-30 hours or so.
You want them to be a little rubbery, not crisp!

Then, I put them in a jar with fresh rosemary snips (or you can use garlic or basil or hot peppers; whatever you like) and cover them all with olive oil. Make sure every tomato is COVERED to prevent any mold problems. Keep them in the fridge. The oil will harden, but 15 minutes on the counter when you want to use them brings it back to clear...
I snip them and use them in salads, on pizza, with pasta, in dips, etc. They last a good 6 months in the fridge, but they never last that long!"



I actually used an oven at 200 degrees and it took from morning until evening with me turning them ever so often. I also used my own homegrown garlic and basil in the olive oil. They are DIVINE. Last week I had Kristin over for lunch and made grilled cheese with mozzarella, my homemade pesto and these tomatoes. I used the oil from the jar on the outside of the bread. These sandwiches tasted like the best pannini you've ever had. We've also been eating them along with olives as a pre-dinner snack! I'm dying to put them in a really great pasta recipe. I may have to make even more of these soon! Two trays of tomatoes just fits in one small canning jar!

2 comments:

Krista said...

The grilled cheese sandwiches sound so good! I may just have to make some.

Christine said...

It's so good that I bought some more cheese today so that I can make myself one tomorrow!!!