Thursday, October 4, 2007

Effortlessly Saving Money-Turn Off Your Computer


I think I'm going to start a new feature each week on Fridays. Yes, I know it is Thursday night. But most of you will be reading this on Friday so I'm still going to count this as a Friday post.

Anyway, I've always thought that there are a lot of easy ways to save money that aren't hard and don't take a lot of extra effort, but they may be things you (or I) haven't thought of. So each Friday I think I'll explore one of these areas and post the potential savings. Please feel free to send me some of your own ideas as I would like to see what else I can be doing and share it with you.

My first one is Turn off your computer at night. I'll admit that I don't do this. But I'll also pledge that I will after I finish this post. Depending on your computer and cost of energy, your savings could be anywhere from $50-$100 a year or more. I looked to a bunch of different sources on this one and was going to write a long post about it but really, you could just read the articles I did. For a nice overview, visit The Simple Dollar. For a specific calculator where you can calculate your own savings visit here. And finally, if you are a real geek, visit Mr Electricity and learn more than you ever wanted to know about the subject.

The calculator told me I would save $47 a year. That might sound small but it's $47 I don't have to shell out. It would also pay for the American Girl Bitty Baby that I want to get my girl for her birthday this year!

No comments: