Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer Musings...

It's been a busy summer and here's what I'm thinking about.

Maybe I Should Have Been a Bartender.

At the museum we have a small bar called The Freight House. It's part of an old train station. On a few occasions now, Saturday night, at the museum's MidsummerFest, being the most recent, I've bartended there. It's just beer so it's easy-Filling growlers, pints, etc... I even learned to do the cash register.  It's a hoot! I like talking to customers about the beer and the museum.  I'm surprised at HOW MUCH I like it. It's fun. Perhaps I've missed a calling of mine. One woman on Sat told me I was so warm and approachable. Really??? She was, of course, drinking when she said it....

I told Al my food service manager and he told me I could come to the VFW some night (Al is a veteran and all around nice fella and also works at the VFW Wed evenings) and bartend at Celebrity Bartending Night. The fact that I would qualify as a celebrity just for being Al's boss makes me think he's more of a big deal than I thought ;-)


Why is my Cat Pooping on The Floor?

SO why is my cat pooping on the floor???? We left her overnight last night and today she pooped all over the kitchen and my husband stepped in it. When I yelled at her and flicked her nose he told me not to. That it would just make her hate us more and want to poop more. WTF??? Is this true????  I can't deal with this attitude.

I think we may be Dog People......

Right now she's all curled up next to me in bed like nothing happened....
And she's chewing on a small stuffed German Shepard. She thinks she's very tough.

It's Fun To Play At The YMCA

We joined the Y this summer and it's been an awesome decision. They have some outdoor pools & spray parks and my girl has been taking swimming lessons -she just finished 2 weeks and starts 2 more weeks tomorrow. We like the wellness workout center and my daughter loves the child drop off at the one we go to most often. We paid a little extra for the passport which lets us go to any Y, and it's been worth it. Since it's been so hot we've gone swimming a lot in the outside pools. It always feels like vacation when we are there.



And speaking of heat....

We were without power for 15 hours last Thursday... Yes, the hottest day of the year here so far.... They kept telling us it would be 90 more minutes until we had power.... All night long. And like idiots, we kept believing them. At one point at 3 am there were a bunch of RG & E vehicles in front of my house. And I noticed some neighbors too. So I got a flashlight and freeze pop and joined them. One of my neighbors pulled up in her SUV, frantic from the heat. She complained to the RG& E guy for a while and then sped off into the night. Where was she going??? Later I thought I should have gone to Wegmans and done my grocery shopping....


Garden Report

My 7ft fortress has been breached and when we came back from an overnight at Keuka Lake today today much of my garden had been destroyed. The gate was closed and yet everything was eaten. All of the beans, and tomatoes, cucumbers, sunflowers, peppers & even the morning glories. It's really disheartening. The broccoli, cabbage & potatoes were fine as was the basil. That's about it... I'm not even frustrated. I'm resigned....Ok, I am frustrated, I'm just trying not to let it bother me too much. I had a nice garlic harvest last weekend... Whatever..... I seriously dislike deer.... I swear, I'm moving to the middle of the suburbs to avoid this... Oh wait.... I already live there... I swear, how to real farmers deal with this cr@p????

I took some nice pictures a few days ago to post but  since it doesn't look like that anymore I'm just gonna sit here and sulk over it.

I'm seriously considering harvesting deer from the garden....


No comments: