Thursday, May 5, 2011

What's Growing In The Garden-Chives

Oh my goodness, it's been a long time since I've been here. The museum is opening on the 14th and I'm feeling a little frazzled at this point. I still feel like there are many many things to do before then.

In the midst of all of this I decided that I miss cooking. I really do. I used to get immense enjoyment of browsing through cookbooks or websites for delicious things to make and then making them.  I have not done that in a long time. I haven't cooked dinner in months. (Except for the Best Roast Chicken ever-But I don't really count that because it only takes 5 minutes.)  Don't worry, we're all eating still-my husband does dinner.

They say your tastes change every 7 or so years and I believe them because I can't actually think of anything I'd like to make at this point that I have a recipe for except for these Blueberry Muffins, which I made this week.

And I'm itching for food from the garden, which there isn't very much of at this point.

So I've decided on a new feature for my blog & my life. Each week I'm going to cook something new with food from my yard. (and my freezer as I'm trying to clean it out in anticipating of new produce this summer!) and post it here. That way people can see what's actually in season and local.

Today we have chives I have a lot of chives and they are beautiful right now. ...Actually this experiment started on Monday with a horrendous Seafood Salad with herbed olive oil. That was a complete waste of shrimp, calamari, scallops & fresh herbs and  prompted my husband to ask if I just wanted to leave the dinner prep to him....

Undaunted, I made the muffins on Tuesday (Farmer's Market Frozen Blueberries) and Chicken Breasts with Chive and Mustard Sauce today.  This was delicious and it made a lot of sauce. Don't you hate it when a recipe with sauce hardly makes any sauce? Well this didn't dissapoint and I served the sauce over the chicken and the broccoli I steamed as a side dish. I even had leftover sauce that I put into the fridge that I can't decide what to do with-It was that yummy! (how many times did I just say sauce?)

I felt better about my cooking skills tonight!

No comments: