Monday, November 1, 2010

Life is a Bowl Of Quince

For me anyway.

Part One because this is a LONG story

I got these quince at work. They were in a crate labeled "Free". ( I got a free cat there too)  I'm making jelly out of them (the quince, not the cat)  tomorrow on my day off. At a party there 2 weeks ago I got some handmade cheese and saw a movie about the underground railroad that was filmed where I work. And someone called me about a month ago so that I could come take a picture of pioneers plucking a dead goose. I've also seen an historic clothing collection, met a minor 70s TV star and entered an agricurtural fair and I'm not even a farmer. I also write press releases, purchase commercials & work on the website and this summer, held, in my hands, a letter written by Laura Ingalls Wilder......

The other day I was talking to someone about a conference we are hosting in March and I asked if I could take one of the workshops....

The one to make a pewter spoon.

The person I was talking to said yes and mentioned (in case I wasn't aware.)

"You know, you make the mold too, You get to keep it"
"The mold?" (eyebrows raised)
"Yes!"
"What? In case I might want to make a pewter spoon at home?"
"You might."

Hmmm....These people ARE my peeps! I really like that there are others more excited than I to make a pewter spoon. I like that there are people besides me who want to make a pewter spoon.

So how did I get this job with dead geese, pewter spoons and old fashioned fruit?

I made it up.

Right about now you are thinking "Well who would want this job anyway?"  Right??? And the answer to that is, no one I know, except, actually, me...

This is a job that plays to my strengths and incorporates my interests because I helped create it. I'm not telling this to you to brag, I want you to know how I did this because it worked for me. And I've never gotten a job in this manner before. And I really LIKE this job. And I think this would probably work for you too if you wanted a job in a place where it was not obvious that you were particularly qualified to work.

First of all, let's back up.

I'm the official blogger and Special Project Manger for The Genesee Country Village & Museum. (yes, it even says "Special" on my business card, I think it's because they really like me ;-) ...At my other place of employment I was just called "Project Manager" nothing special about me there folks....)

Basically, as an adult I've always wanted to work in this place. I adore this place. On my lunch I usually just walk around like a visitor.

The problem was, when I started looking for a job they were not hiring. There was no position that existed called (Special) project manager and I have no prior museum experience.

Yeah I might not hire me either.....

Come back tomorrow for Part 2 and find out how I got this non-existent job.

In the mean time head on over to the museum website and take a look at the video I put in the Facebook feed today. (You can see it on Facebook too) but I particularly love how it looks from the museum home page.

No comments: