Friday, March 26, 2010

Old Farmer's Almanac Online

Last week in a bout of beautiful weather mixed with gardening withdrawal, I planted some pea seeds, kale seeds and radish seeds (ones that I already had). This morning dawned at 25 degrees.... I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.

The packages said "Plant when the soil is able to be worked." It clearly was but I still had my doubts.I also have a seed buying/girls day out planned with Jeannine next week so I knew that if they didn't take it was really not a big deal. But still, those package directions seemed vague.   And I've been gardening for a while now. Every year this wording puzzles me. Conventional wisdom dictates that you can plant peas on St Patrick's day but obviously that CANNOT be true for everyone from Maine to the Carolinas.  I do usually grow peas with no issues but I really would like to start AS SOON AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE.

My friend Diana recently pointed me in the direction of the Farmer's Almanac Online  They have a place where you can enter your zip code and see when the very best dates are to plant seeds in your area. They also have the best dates to plant per phase of the moon if you care. I'm going to experiment with that this year but more on that later. I love this tool.

I also think that it's hysterical that you can fine the Old Farmer's Almanac Online!

No comments: