Sunday, June 19, 2011

What's Growing In The Garden-Peas & Greens & Green Goddess Dressing


Pretty much right now we have greens and snow peas and lots of herbs & some green onions. (And Iris for a vase!)  Oh and actually a pepper which seems really early. Tonight I sauteed some snow peas with garlic scrapes which was ok, I need to think of something else to do with snow peas. I don't even know if I like them anymore....

The salad is so nice though and I had just enough herbs to make my favorite Green Goddess Salad Dressing. It calls for a lot of Basil and I hardly have any of that at the moment (I sacraficed an entire plant to make this) so I cut down the recipe to 1/4 size. I then bought a bunch of fresh basil because I just didn't make enough of this stuff.

Green Goddess Salad Dressing
Aadapted from Barefoot Contessa At Home

Makes about 4 cups

1 cup good mayonnaise
1 cup chopped green onions (scallions), white and green parts

1 cup chopped fresh basil, packed

juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup)

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup plain yogurt-She uses sour cream but I always have yogurt on hand and I like it's tartness in here.

I usually throw some fresh parsley in here too for good measure and dill if I have it (which I do) because I love dill.

Place the mayonnaise, green onions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add yogurt, blending until just incorporated. Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!!

This is the most amazing stuff. It makes any salad the best salad you've ever had. I've served it as a dip for roasted fingerling potatoes which was a huge hit. I've also been known to dip pita chips& veggies  in it as well.

No comments: