Sunday, October 26, 2008

Crockpot Applesauce

Well, I think I've finally recovered from the Squirrel Shock and I can come back and post about normal life once again.

Today I made Crockpot Applesauce. This is one of the easiest recipes ever and is perfect for this time of year.

Take as many apples as you want. Any kind you like. Wash them. If you have a hand crank food mill (and if you don't your grandma probably does) all you need to do is core them and cut them into chunks. If you don't have a food mill (old fashioned or otherwise) you may want to peel the apples. I like to cook the applesauce with the peels on because it gives the applesauce a beautiful pink color.

Put the apples in the crockpot and cook on high until they are soft. Today that was about 4 hrs on high. No water. Nothing. Just cook 'em down. When they are soft put them through the food mill to mash and remove the peels or if you have already peeled them, the mash with a fork.

You can add a little cinnamon and brown sugar but apples are so perfect this time of year that I usually don't.

I like this with oatmeal. I use it in muffins. My daughter eats it as a side dish or for dessert and I think it tastes like home.

This freezes beautifully so only put what you'll eat in a few days time in the fridge. You don't want your hard work going to waste now do you!

2 comments:

Krista said...

I love home made applesauce. I am going to have to keep my eyes open for apples that aren't $8 a bag!

Christine said...

Oh my! I'm up in Apple Country so they are cheap and beautiful at this time of year! And we have been getting them in our CSA share each week as well!