Friday, February 15, 2008

Blueberries!

One of the best things about going to the farmers market in July is that sometime on a snowy February morning you will go into your freezer and pull out a bag of washed and frozen blueberries and stir them into the pancakes you are making for you and your daughter. You will then eat them all warm and gooey. Later you will go back and have one for a snack after lunch before you sit down to blog about it because they are so yummy!

Of course, you could do this with frozen berries from the store but they aren't nearly as good and you won't get to feel nearly as smug as I do today.

I bought a lot of blueberries last summer for $3 a quart and froze them in 1 cup baggies (which I will wash and re-use) I think I got 4 cups out of each quart ($.75). Today, 1 Cup (8oz) is $3. And trust me, going to the farmers market was way better than going to the grocery store.

I really should mention this in the beginning of Farmers Market season this year (and I will) but I really want to express how wonderful it is to have these little gems in the freezer for use at times like these when the cost of produce is high and the quality is low.

No comments: